Requisition 32672: Maintenance Electrician - Chicago, IL
Position duties: Working around various rail yard and buildings electrical systems and bridges. Maintenance electricians are subject to 24/7 emergency callout. Maintenance electricians are required to work in various locations to support company needs, emergencies and training, but primary duties are in and around Chicago, IL. The position requires the ability to evaluate and analyze data, schematics and drawings for electrical systems and controls up to 600volts. Must have or the ability to obtain a Class A CDL license with air brakes. Must be able to obtain a medical card specified by DOT to operate a vehicle ranging from 10,000 to 26,000 pounds.
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Measure, cut, thread, bend, and assemble connections to control panels and junction boxes
- Test circuit connections. Diagnose, repair, and replace electrical malfunctions in components including loading charging, transition problems, wheel slip, sander circuits and high and low voltage grounds
- Perform work activities utilizing voltages up to 1200 and amperages up to 1500
- Examine parts for wear and/or defects such as brushes contact tips, slip rings, armatures, diodes, bearings and fuses
- Interpret test instrument indicators
- Repair speed recorders, air compressors, turbo and fuel pumps and temperature switches. Change light bulbs on locomotives
- Interpret information from computer monitors or printouts
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
- High School Diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- One year experience reading blueprints or electrical schematics
- Two years electrician experience
- Completion of an electrical vocational or trade school program
- Journeyman Electrician
- Heavy work, lifting up to 50 pounds
- Walk long distances over uneven terrain
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communication)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Basic Math
Electricians rate progression:
This position is full time, shift work consists of: Irregular hours, including nights, weekend, holidays and occasional overtime.
Travel for Training
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is a Fortune 300 organization and one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern is a major transporter of industrial products, including chemicals, agriculture, and metals and construction materials. In addition, the railroad operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a principal carrier ofcoal, automobiles, and automotive parts.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Together, we power progress.